Saturday, August 21, 2010

Prunes- It's What's For Dinner!

Julia has graduated to prunes!

Actually, it turns out that Julia's rice cereal is fortified with iron, and caused a little bit of a back up (if you know what I mean). I fed her about half a tablespoon of rice cereal every day this past week. Poor little one didn't poop for like 4 days.

Problem solved when Momma found pureed prunes at the grocery store! I guess I'm gonna hold off on the rice cereal and start with fruits and veggies instead.

After doing some research, I discovered that the iron in breast milk is more easily absorbed than the iron fortified cereals. Even though there is technically less iron in breast milk than baby cereals, breast fed babies get more iron from breast milk than cereal.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron.html

As long as Jules' main diet is breast milk, I'm not too concerned about her iron intake. I surely don't want her to be constipated and uncomfortable. Happy Baby = Happy Mommy!

Prunes are also good cut up in oatmeal, I discovered. Did you know that prunes have more antioxidants than blueberries? Prunes are also good for baking. I made a great German chocolate (carob) cake once using prunes. I found the recipe in a Vegetarian Times magazine a long time ago when I was vegan. Here's the recipe:

http://www.ivu.org/recipes/european/vegan-german-j.html

No comments:

Post a Comment